Golden Retrievers have been one of the most popular breeds in the United States over the past 10 years. They are cuddly companions and make great pets. Here are a few facts to know if you own a Golden Retreiver or are thinking about getting one!
- Floppy Ears. Any breed of dog that has floppy ears has an increased risk of infection as it traps moisture. Weekly ear cleanings with a good cleanser will decrease their risk of infection. It is very common for Goldens to need regular ear cleaning. This is a good ear cleanser that we use. If your Golden’s ears start to smell funny, this is a good indication they need to visit the vet as they may have an infection.
- Joint Care. Large breed dogs need extra joint care. Start them young on a joint supplement to help protect their mobility and health.
- Grain Free Diets. This is a big “no no” for Goldens. Grain free is a very popular trend right now among human diets as well as our pet diets. We need to remember that grain free may not actually be a healthy choice for our pets. In fact, it is not a balanced diet at all for Golden Retrievers and can cause MAJOR heart problems.
- Grooming. Regular bathing and brushing will help keep your Golden’s coat healthy and smooth (and smell amazing!) We know a groomer who loves giving those big kids a Spa Day!
- Loveable. Goldens are one of the most loveable breeds you will meet. Adopting a Golden Retriever can be a great addition to your family!
Whether your Golden has an ear problem, needs grooming or vaccines updated, we can’t wait to see you next!