Posts Tagged: cat training
Getting a new pet is an exciting time for both your family and your new furry friend. Whether you have added a young kitten or a mature dog to your home, establishing rules and boundaries are important from the very first day. Here are 10 tips to help prevent behavior problems.
- Set rules immediately and stick to them.
- Avoid situations that promote inappropriate behavior.
- Observe the pet and provide what it needs to be cared for and attended to
- Supervise the new pet diligently through undivided individual attention and training, and restrict the pet’s access to a limited area of the house until training is complete.
- Encourage good behavior with praise and attention.
- Correct bad behaviors by providing positive alternatives. (A toy for a slipper, scratching post for the sofa)
- Never physically punish or force compliance to commands. This may lead to fear biting or aggression.
- Don’t play rough or encourage aggression or play biting.
- Expose pets to people, animals, and environments where you want them to live.
- See your veterinarian if serious or unresolved behavior problems exist.